- 1 cup kabuli channa soaked overnight
- 1 large tomato
- 2 large onions
- 1 1/2 tbsp. chopped coriander
- 1 tsp. ginger grated
- 1 tsp. garlic crushed
- 1 lemon (juice extracted)
- 2 tbsp. oil, 1 tbsp. ghee
- 1 tsp. tea leaves (tied into a pouch in a
- small piece of clean muslin cloth)
- 4 green chillies slit
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- Dry masalas :- 1 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp. each cinnamon – clove powder,
- turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp. each garam masala, pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 cups plain flour (maida) 2 tbsp. curds
- 2 tbsp. butter or oil
- 1/2 tsp. soda bicarb
- salt to taste
- Curd to knead dough
- oil to deep fry
Method for Channa
- Put the soaked, washed channa in a cooked with enough water, teapouch and bay leaves.
- Pressure cook till done. (approx. 6-7 whistles).
- Cool about 5 tbsp. channa for grinding.
- In a mixie, blend together 1/2 tomato, 1 onion, cooled channa and 1/2 tbsp. coriander. Keep aside.
- Chop remaining tomatoes and onions fine.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add cumin seeds to splutter.
- Add ginger-garlic and fry for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes, onion and fry till tender.
- Add channa-paste, fry further 3-4 minutes.
- Add all dry masala except cinnamon-clove powder.
- Stir and fry till oil separates. Add drained channa and 2 cup water which was drained from channa.
- Stir and bring to boil.
- Simmer for 7-8 minutes till gravy thickens.
- Take in serving dish.
- Heat ghee in a small sauce pan.
- Add the chillies and cinnamon-clove powder.
- Add chopped coriander and pour hot over the channa.
- Squeeze lemon over channa.
- Stir in seasoning gently.
Method For Bhatura
- Sieve together flour, salt and soda.
- Add and mix in curds and oil.
- Add enough Curd to knead into a soft pliable dough.
- Cover with a wet cloth.
- Keep aside for 5-6 hours. Make sure the cloth does not dry up, or wet again.
- Knead dough again. Take fistful of dough. Roll into 1/4″ thick 5″ diameter round. Fry in hot oil.
- Turning only once. Till very light golden in colour. Repeat for all. Serve hot with hot channa and
slices of onions and lemon.