- Green bananas or plantains (nenthrakkay) – cubed
- turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- mustard seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- urad dal – 1/4 teaspoon
- coconut, grated – 1/2 cup (may substitute des. coconut)
- coconut for garnish – 1 tablespoon
- black pepper – 1/4 teaspoon curry leaves – a few
- salt to taste
- oil – 1 teaspoon
- Soak the cut plantains in warm water mixed with half teaspoon turmeric for ten minutes.
- Drain and cook the plantains with the remaining turmeric and salt.
- Grind the coconut well with cumin and add to the cooked plantains.
- Let it simmer. Meanwhile, heat the oil and pop the mustard seeds.
- Add the urad dal and the coconut and stir till browned.
- Add this mixture to the erisserry and mix in the curry leaves.